Fire / Life Safety
Fires are one of the more significant threats to people, the built environment, our cultural heritage, and business interruption.
Fires are one of the few hazards that we have control over the probability of it occurring, as well as the extent of damage. Effective fire prevention and fire protection plans can be developed and implemented to significantly limit the chance of fire occurring, and reducing the fire induced damage.
In approaching these challenges, it is typically most effective to understand one’s fire/life safety objectives and define credible hazards so that a risk assessment can be undertaken. These efforts more appropriately inform stakeholder decisions regarding the mitigation options available to address these risks, so that risk-informed decisions can be made in selecting one. Documentation and implementation then follow to help better protect our built environment.
Fire Safety/Life Safety Mitigation Measures
Fire/life safety mitigation measures involve a combination of fire prevention procedures, active and passive protection features, and building capacity with stakeholders. These mitigation measures address both limiting a fire from occurring, as well as managing the impact should a fire occur. Mitigation measures include ignition control to reduce fires, and fuel load balancing to limit hazards, coupled with the following to manage a fire’s impact should ignition occur:
- fire detection systems for early detection,
- fire alarm systems for early notification to occupants and emergency responders,
- compartmentation to limit fire and smoke spread,
- fire suppression systems to reduce fire development,
- smoke management systems to restrict the development and movement of smoke,
- fire fighting facilities to assist in gaining access to the area of origin and suppression activities.
These facilitate the development and implementation of a comprehensive, integrated, risk-informed, and sustainable fire/life safety strategy meeting the stakeholder’s objectives.
Services and Deliverables
Services, and deliverables resulting from these efforts, are quite varied. However, they all serve important parts of a comprehensive strategy. These include:
- Building Code Consulting
- Fire Detection/Fire Alarm System Design & Analysis
- Fire Protection System Design & Analysis
- Fire Hazard and Fire Risk Assessments
- Atrium Smoke Management Systems
- Evacuation & Fire Simulation Modeling
- Performance Based Design and Analysis
- Code Equivalency, Variance & Alternative Development
- Negotiations with local authorities
- Audits and Surveys
- Bid Documentation Development
- Acceptance Testing and Commissioning
- Third Party Reviews/Peer Reviews
- Litigation support
- Fire Research & Fire Testing
- Capacity Building/Training
- Fire Prevention Plans
- Fire/Life Safety Mitigation Strategy
- Evacuation Plans
- Fire Protection System Design Documentation
- Fire Detection/Alarm System Design Documentation
- Fire Mitigation During Renovation/Construction Plans
- Emergency Response Plans
- Engineering Analyses
- Capacity Building/Training Programs